A report on the general minutia of my daily existence.

Wednesday, January 07, 2004

bureaucracy tirade

I do not expect my employer to be brave as it is too bogged down in bureaucracy. I am not allowed to download things onto my computer because the Information Technology guys across the street (where the Government Center building and County Council are located) forbid us to know anything about computers because it threatens their jobs. Any requests (including software update requests) have to go from me to my manager to his manager then they go across the street and lord knows what happens over there. One this the place that hired me in December for a job I interviewed for in July and is still “looking at” my promotion request I submitted in November. I have been forbidden from downloading my palm pilot software onto my computer because only department heads are allowed to use Palm Pilots because of County Policy. I am currently battling to get an oh so radical landscape layout for the County Bike Plan, which may or may not meet with County Criteria for written documents which no one has really made. Oddly enough, however, they didn’t flinch at allowing me to put it online in draft format (available soon!), which I was expecting to be the real battle. Also, they haven’t even had time to look at supplying us with a tax free transit use program that we are actively trying to sell to private employers throughout the county (http://www.dvrpc.org/transportation/transitchek.htm). I believe the Executive Director’s comment was, “Why don’t we just build more parking?”

Anyway… aside from this tirade, I also have positive things to say about my work experience which I will post on the Pleasant Times Blog (link for grandparents on the side or pleasanttimes.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home